Church of the Protection of the Mother of God

Date of construction: Built for Catholic parish. Orthodox parish exists in the building from 1940.

Date of consecration: Consecrated on 22 July 1995 by Metropolitan Cornelius of Tallinn and all Estonia

The Orthodox church in Kiviõli was opened in 1920 in a wooden school building. Because of this it was necessary to remove school desks during services. Till 1944 the church was attributed to the Jõhvi parish though it had its own priest Nikolay Beljaeva (1923 — 1925 and 1932 — 1946), and also Archpriest Vladimir Bystrjakov (1925 — 1932). In 1940 the wooden school building was taken away and the parish had to worship in the catholic church.

The same happened to the Lutheran parish. Later the catholic parish was closed and Orthodox and Lutheran believers celebrated liturgies by turns.

In 1962 the iconostas from the closed church of Saint Alexander Nevsky in Haapsalu was placed in the church of the Protection of the Mother of God in Kiviõli.

On the night of June 24, 1972 the church was set on the fire, but thanks to the efforts of the Archpriest Karp Tints and the parishioners the church was restored in a very short space of time.

On September 12, 1972 Metropolitan Alexy of Tallinn and Estonia (nowadays the Most Holy Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia) conducted a water sanctification service.

On July 22, 1995, when the Lutheran believers left the church, Archbishop Cornelius (Yakobs) of Tallinn and all Estonia reconsecrated the church according to Orthodox rites.





Address: Piiri 2, 43125 Kivioli, Ida-Virumaa


Churches Map


Estonian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate
Pikk 64-4, 10133 Tallinn, ESTONIA

Phone: +372 641 1301
Fax: +372 641 1302

Scroll to top